Friday, July 13, 2012

FRIDAY PHOTOS

Lest you think that all I do is sit around basting hexagons, I thought I would show you what I've been doing the last couple of nights. My dresden plate quilt has been basted for over a year. I'm not sure if that's really bad, or a great advertisement for 505 spray baste  : )

Anyway, I had this picture in my head of the background filled with pebble quilting (the one thing I can sort of do other than squiggly lines)


After the first 10 or so pebbles, my thought was to pick it all out and throw it in the corner.  Then I thought, dang it! I am doing this! Some of them look a little more like kidney beans, but oh well.


Each one of these blocks takes a whole bobbin of thread. On the top I am using a Mettler variegated #9817


The fabrics in this quilt were scraps from my string quilt, jellyroll bits etc. I made it using the english paper piecing method just like the hexagons. The little star flower shape was a gift from a friend (thanks Dawn) and I think it makes it just a bit different from most dresdens.
This is going to take me a while to finish, but I will show you the end result soon.

Have a fabulous week-end and don't forget the sunscreen  : 0 )

17 comments:

Kelsey said...

This.is.awesome! That quilting is perfect :) I need to make a dresden quilt soon...too many quilt ideas and not enough time!

Debbie said...

This looks great! That's one of the few patterns I can fmq too!

Livin' Blue Quilter said...

This is beautiful. And I love the quilted pebbles. Now I want to dig out my dresden fan and get busy.

Deanna said...

Love the pebbles, you inspire me.....I need to try them.

Jodi said...

I like your green background AND the pebbles. I don't think they look like kidney beans, but who cares if they do - not me, it's lovely!

Cindy Sharp said...

Love it!

Pebbles are not all round....some are definitely shaped more like beans...so you get an A+ for quilting.

The star centers are a stroke of genious!

Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Deborah said...

The center stars are perfect. I've never seen them used and they're a really lovely change from circles. Beautiful.

**nicke... said...

oh gracious carla! i LOOOOOVE it! i have so much stuff i want to do and work is preventing me from doing it today! blech! i can't wait to see this done it is going to be beautiful!!!

Katja said...

Believe it or not, in nature, pebbles are not all round! Great job Carla!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Fab quilting, I love it!

Ladyquiltsalot said...

I agree, pebbles come in all shapes and sizes, I should know, my dogs drag them into the house all the time! LOL.
I might just try this on my Oopsy Daisy once it is finished as I am determined to quilt it myself!
Thanks as always for sharing your beautiful work.

Brandie said...

Once again I'm inspired by your color scheme. I really need to get out of my colorless rut.
It all looks beautiful!

Anne's House said...

Carla, I love your star centers! Thank you for a fresh idea! Your pebbles are great--you are a brave lady---I need to practice, practice, practice. I'm inspired by your beautiful work!

Diane-crewe said...

I love dresden plates xx who cares what the quilting looks like ?its YOUR quilt and I for one have never met the quilt police xx

quiltmania said...

Can't wait to see the finished quilt. Those star centres are a perfect accent!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It looks awesome! well done for not giving up :)

Rosa said...

Oh this is just what I need. Great inspiration for my very old dresden plates that must be made into a quilt very soon.
I love the pebbles - they are so right as is the sashing and the different centers.
Beautiful!